Google rejects UK union recognition but offers talks via conciliation body

LONDON, May 20 (Reuters) - Google < GOOGL.O> said it had rejected a request from two British unions for voluntary recognition but ‌would negotiate with them via a state-backed conciliation service, ‌delaying a potential statutory process that could force recognition.

Reuters

Under UK rules, the move opens ​a 20-working-day window, extendable by agreement, for talks on recognition. If talks fail, unions can seek statutory recognition via the country's independent Central Arbitration Committee.

The Communication Workers Union (CWU) and Unite said earlier this month that ‌they had sent a ⁠formal letter to Google seeking voluntary recognition after an employee-organised vote showed support for unionisation at Google's AI ⁠unit DeepMind.

The company confirmed the receipt of that letter, which gave it 10 days under UK rules to respond by agreeing to voluntary recognition, ​rejecting the ​request or entering negotiations.

Advertisement

"We've declined ​the unions' request for voluntary ‌recognition to bargain collectively on pay, hours and holiday, but we have offered to meet via ACAS, which is a standard next step," a Google spokesperson said via email on Wednesday. "We continue to value the constructive and direct dialogue that we have with our employees ‌about building a positive and successful workplace."

Britain's ​new employment rights legislation, which came into ​force last month, has ​simplified the union recognition process, lowering some of the ‌thresholds and procedural hurdles for ​unions.

Google has about 7,000 ​employees in the UK, including those at DeepMind.

Globally, big technology companies have been accused by workers' rights groups of discouraging ​unionisation through "union-busting" tactics, a ‌characterisation the firms reject, saying they favour direct dialogue with ​workers over formal collective bargaining.

(Reporting by Muvija M; Editing ​by Paul Sandle and Mark Porter)

Google rejects UK union recognition but offers talks via conciliation body

LONDON, May 20 (Reuters) - Google < GOOGL.O> said it had rejected a request from two British unions for voluntary recognition but...
US offers new relationship to Cuba in Rubio message

WASHINGTON, May 20 (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio offered to forge a new relationship between the U.S. and Cuba on Wednesday in a video message ‌to the Cuban people, proposing $100 million in aid and blaming Cuba's leaders for shortages ‌of electricity, food and fuel.

Reuters

"We in the U.S. are offering to help you not only alleviate the current crisis, but ​also to build a better future," Rubio said in a State Department message on Cuban Independence Day.

The Trump administration is expected to announce criminal charges against former Cuban president Raul Castro on Wednesday, in a move that would mark a step-up in Washington's pressure campaign against the Caribbean island's communist government.

In ‌his video address delivered in Spanish, ⁠Rubio blamed the country's current problems on greed and corruption in its leadership.

"The real reason you don't have electricity, fuel, or food is because those ⁠who control your country have plundered billions of dollars, but nothing has been used to help the people," Rubio said.

He said the United States is offering $100 million dollars in food and medicine to the ​Cuban people, ​but it must be distributed by the Catholic Church ​or other trusted charitable groups.

Advertisement

In a ‌response Wednesday morning, Cuba's embassy in the U.S. said Rubio had lied and that the United States was subjecting the island nation to cruelty.

"The reason the U.S. Secretary of State lies so repeatedly and unscrupulously when referring to Cuba and trying to justify the aggression to which he subjects the Cuban people is not ignorance or incompetence," the embassy said in a post on X. "He ‌knows full well that there is no excuse for ​such cruel and ruthless aggression."

President Donald Trump has been seeking ​regime change in Cuba, where communists ​have been in charge since Raul Castro's late brother Fidel Castro led a ‌revolution in 1959.

The charges against Castro, 94, ​are expected to be based ​on a 1996 incident in which Cuban jets shot down planes operated by a group of Cuban exiles, a U.S. Justice Department official told Reuters last week on the ​condition of anonymity.

The U.S. has ‌effectively imposed a blockade on the island by threatening sanctions on countries supplying it ​with fuel, triggering power outages and delivering blows to its already fragile economy.

(Reporting by ​Doina Chiacu, Katharine Jackson; Editing by Doina Chiacu)

US offers new relationship to Cuba in Rubio message

WASHINGTON, May 20 (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio offered to forge a new relationship between the U.S. and Cuba on Wed...
What NBA game had the most overtimes in history? How Thunder-Spurs OT stacks up

The first game of theWestern Conference Finalswas one for the books as theOklahoma City Thunderand theSan Antonio Spurswent totwo overtimes before the visitors claimed the win.

USA TODAY

Game 1 looks to be just a snippet of what this long-awaited series will bring to the table, but can it break the record for the longest NBA Playoff game on record? It's possible.

The May 18 game between the Thunder and Spurs lasted 58 minutes, but the longest playoff game in history is a tie between two matchups, both lasting two overtimes for a total of 68 minutes of play. While the first one was 73 years ago, between the Boston Celtics and the Syracuse Nationals, now thePhiladelphia 76ers.

Most recently, in 2019, thePortland Trail Blazersand theDenver Nuggetsalso went to four overtimes.

Here's what happened in the longest NBA Playoff games in history.

What are the longest NBA Playoff games in history?

The Guinness World Record book lists two games as tied for the most overtime games in NBA Playoffs.

On March 21, 1953, in Game 2 of the Eastern Division Semifinals, the Boston Celtics defeated the Syracuse Nationals (now Philadelphia 76ers) 111-105 in four overtimes for a total of 68 minutes played.

Advertisement

The Nationals and the Celtics held that record for 66 years, when it was tied by the Denver Nuggets and the Portland Trail Blazers.

On May 3, 2019, in Game 3 of the Western Conference Semifinals, the Trail Blazers took down the Nuggets 140-137. Nuggets star Nikola Jokić played 65 of the 68 minutes. Jokić holds the record for the longest time played in a single playoff game and ranks second overall.

What is the longest NBA game of all time?

The longest NBA game of all time was a six-overtime 75-73 win for the Indianapolis Olympians (folded 1953) over the Rochester Royals (nowSacramento Kings), played in 1951.

The Thunder's direct ancestors, the Seattle SuperSonics, rank second in the list after losing to theMilwaukee Bucks155-154 in five overtimes in 1989. Former SuperSonic Dale Ellis holds the record for the most minutes played in a single NBA game, with 69 minutes.

The Syracuse Nationals and the Anderson Packers (folded in 1951) are tied for second with five overtime games in 1949.

Isa Almeida is a trending reporter for The Oklahoman. Have a story idea for Isa? She can be reached at ialmeida@oklahoman.com or on X/Twitter at @ialmeidasports. Support Isa's work and that of other Oklahoman journalists by purchasing adigital subscription today at subscribe.oklahoman.com.

This article originally appeared on Oklahoman:What's the record for most overtimes during an NBA game? How Thunder-Spurs OT compares

What NBA game had the most overtimes in history? How Thunder-Spurs OT stacks up

The first game of theWestern Conference Finalswas one for the books as theOklahoma City Thunderand theSan Antonio Spurswent totwo overt...
Victor Wembanyama has BEEN 'the best player in the f***ing world' — and this is only the beginning

I won’t blame you if your jaw hit the floor watchingVictor Wembanyama score his 41 pointsin the thrilling Game 1 win over the Oklahoma City Thunder. The 30-foot, Steph-esque 3-pointer in overtime. The mind-melting dunks all over OKC’s defense. Pure cinema.

Yahoo Sports

Feel free to shake your head at the fact that he pulled down 24 rebounds, which was more than the entire OKC starting lineup. Add in that he swatted away three OKC offerings and held the Thunder to 35.7% shootingon twoswhile he was on the floor. That’s all great.

But the craziest number of all is 22 — the number of years that Wembanyama has been alive.

“Best player in the f***ing world,” his teammate Stephon Castle said after the game.

Advertisement

To be clear, that was a reminder, not an announcement. I understand why folks have been reluctant to crown Wembanyama as The Best Player In The F’ing World because we’ve been conditioned to wait until it feels safer. Wait until they hit their prime. Wait until their team has won the championship. Wait until … well, they’re older than 22 f***ing years old.

But as a basketball species, Wemby is different, hence the alien moniker. He’s taller than everybody, yes, but the true differentiator is that he’s processing the game quicker than anyone. I noticed his processing power two years ago when I wrote that he was on theGOAT path. I doubled down this season when I predicted in October that he’d win MVPthis season(he qualified under the 65-game rule, but I don’t think he played enough minutes to convince voters).

So as someone who has been touting Wemby perhaps earlier than most (too early at times!), let me say this: Monday’s Game 1 supernova didn’t establish him as the best player in the galaxy. Because healreadysnatched that mystical accolade weeks ago from Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Nikola Jokić or whichever name you throw into that pile.

We can look at the measurables, which have been admittedly warped downward by Wembanyama’s unexpected absences. The Game 2 concussion against Portland and Game 4 ejection against Minnesota threw a wet blanket on his per-game averages because he only played a handful of minutes in those games.

But rest assured, when Wembanyama was on the floor, he was putting upnumbers. Wembanyama was averaging 25.4 points, 13.9 rebounds and 5.2 blocks per 36 minutes headingintoMonday’s Game 1, hinting that a monster 41-23-3-3 outing was within reach. But judging by his more pedestrian 20.3 points, 10.7 rebounds and 4.1 blocks (OK, that last one isn’t pedestrian), you might not have guessed that Wemby made another leap.

Victor Wembanyama has BEEN 'the best player in the f***ing world' — and this is only the beginning

I won’t blame you if your jaw hit the floor watchingVictor Wembanyama score his 41 pointsin the thrilling Game 1 win over the Oklahoma ...
Smaller European airlines push back on passenger compensation reforms

By Joanna Plucinska and Julia Payne

Reuters

LONDON, May 19 (Reuters) - Smaller European airlines urged EU officials on Tuesday to reconsider planned reforms to passenger compensation rights, arguing that a spike in ‌jet fuel prices due to the Iran war has left them with no room to take ‌on additional financial burdens.

EU institutions are negotiating a reform of the bloc's decades-old passenger rights regulation, called EU261. Under existing rules in ​place since 2004, air passengers can claim compensation for flights delayed by more than three hours from 250 euros ($292.95) and more depending on the flight length. The next round of talks is set for June 2.

"We urge European policymakers to pause and reassess," executives from 35 airlines including Air Serbia, SkyExpress, Luxair, Atlantic Airways and SprintAir ‌said in a letter sent to EU ⁠officials on Tuesday, seen by Reuters. Other airlines that signed the letter included KLM Cityhopper and Air Corsica.

The European Parliament and EU countries are at odds over increasing ⁠the flight delay threshold for compensation as well as the maximum refund. Parliament wants to keep the threshold unchanged at three hours for short-haul flights while member states want it raised to four hours. The smaller European airlines ​are calling ​for the threshold to be longer or no compensation ​at all but did not set out explicit ‌demands.

The co-legislators are also at odds over a Parliament proposal to include the right to a free cabin bag of up to 7 kilograms (15lb) in the new rules, which the airlines also oppose.

Advertisement

"Conduct a full impact assessment, in the new geopolitical scenario, recognise the unique role of regional aviation, adjust the compensation regime to reflect operational realities, discourage flight cancellations and avoid pushing essential air links out of existence," airline executives said ‌in their letter.

They added that small European carriers have been ​hit particularly hard by the spike in the price of jet ​fuel, and are more vulnerable due to ​operating thin routes "with very low profit margins", making it harder for them to pay ‌out if disruptions occur.

As it stands, jet fuel ​costs have practically doubled around ​the world, with some airlines warning of long-term negative effects on their profit margins.

"Europe’s strength lies in its connectivity, not only between major capitals, but across every region and community. Regional aviation ​is what makes that connectivity possible. Do ‌not let this be the last straw," the letter said.

Other rules, which are not in ​dispute, include free seating for an accompanying adult next to a child or person with ​reduced mobility.

(Reporting by Joanna Plucinska; Editing by Susan Fenton)

Smaller European airlines push back on passenger compensation reforms

By Joanna Plucinska and Julia Payne LONDON, May 19 (Reuters) - Smaller European airlines urged EU officials on Tuesday to reconsi...

 

NEO JRNL © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com